A couple topics /questions

Drum Lessons Forums DBD Member Lesson Discussion A couple topics /questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

First, I found my mind wandering while practicing today. And not directly to social media or anything really. Just drifting. And man that will screw me everytime. Should I not practice when my plate is too full? Or should I work through it like I tell my photography students?

Second  I’m struggling with some shoulder issues  I guess as I work harder  (not playing harder) the more I notice it. My wrist and arms feel fine so I don’t know that it’s tendinitis at least not in those areas.  Is there a way to stretch and warm up that can help with this? My posture is good  in fact my frown and posture is helping me with bad posture everywhere else! Did you know you can actually use your trucks head rest?

Stephen
    Keymaster

Hey David…yea, so this is normal, for the mind to wander. Doing repetitive things sends a signal to that lizard brain of ours that it’s “bored” (it’s not really). I have found that 5-10 minutes of deep breathing to clear the mind before my practice and a solid, predictable warm up routine helps me slide in to practice with as much focus as possible. When you notice it wondering, take a break and try some deep breathing with your eyes closed. There is a great app called Head space that has a free course of 10 minute sessions. Just to help you focus. Nothing weird. Breathing exercises and such. It helps me immensely.

Shoulder…is there something on your kit setup that is triggering this? That’s where I would look first.

David
    Participant

Awesome thanks. Just got a ton on my plate at the moment. I need to meditate more. The drums for sure offer me some of that. As long as I don’t lose myself in random thought. Thanks for the advice.

Marcus

For me, focus must practiced and I have to set the conditions for success. There are a few things I do.

1.  Remove the obvious distractions…the phone, tablet, whatever it may be.

2.  I get centered. Circular breathing and listening to a song that I know brings me into that focused state

3.  I have a practice plan and a time schedule and I stick to it

4.  Practicing gets done on some level every day.  The more I practice at practing, the better my practicing gets.

Hopefully somw of that might be helpful.

• Author

David
    Participant

First, I found my mind wandering while practicing today. And not directly to social media or anything really. Just drifting. And man that will screw me everytime. Should I not practice when my plate is too full? Or should I work through it like I tell my photography students?

Second  I’m struggling with some shoulder issues  I guess as I work harder  (not playing harder) the more I notice it. My wrist and arms feel fine so I don’t know that it’s tendinitis at least not in those areas.  Is there a way to stretch and warm up that can help with this? My posture is good  in fact my frown and posture is helping me with bad posture everywhere else! Did you know you can actually use your trucks head rest?

Stephen
    Keymaster

Hey David…yea, so this is normal, for the mind to wander. Doing repetitive things sends a signal to that lizard brain of ours that it’s “bored” (it’s not really). I have found that 5-10 minutes of deep breathing to clear the mind before my practice and a solid, predictable warm up routine helps me slide in to practice with as much focus as possible. When you notice it wondering, take a break and try some deep breathing with your eyes closed. There is a great app called Head space that has a free course of 10 minute sessions. Just to help you focus. Nothing weird. Breathing exercises and such. It helps me immensely.

Shoulder…is there something on your kit setup that is triggering this? That’s where I would look first.

David
    Participant

Awesome thanks. Just got a ton on my plate at the moment. I need to meditate more. The drums for sure offer me some of that. As long as I don’t lose myself in random thought. Thanks for the advice.

Marcus

For me, focus must practiced and I have to set the conditions for success. There are a few things I do.

1.  Remove the obvious distractions…the phone, tablet, whatever it may be.

2.  I get centered. Circular breathing and listening to a song that I know brings me into that focused state

3.  I have a practice plan and a time schedule and I stick to it

4.  Practicing gets done on some level every day.  The more I practice at practing, the better my practicing gets.

Hopefully somw of that might be helpful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.